Man Utd, Chelsea target Varane refuses to commit future to Real Madrid

Raphael Varane TEAMtalk

Raphael Varane cleverly swerved questions about his future on Monday as the Real Madrid star was probed about Tuesday’s Champions League clash with Chelsea.

Varane and Zinedine Zidane were speaking ahead of the first leg of Madrid’s Champions League semi-final against the Blues on Tuesday in Madrid. The news conference was though dominated by Florentino’s Perez’ involvement in the European Super League, and Varane’s future.

According to Mundo Deportivo, there is a high possibility the France defender will leave Real Madrid this summer and the Premier League could be his next destination.

Varane is yet to renew a contract that expires in 2022. Chelsea and Manchester United have been linked with the 28-year-old, with the LaLiga side apparently looking to get £61m for the player.

Perez even signalled the club’s intention to let Varane leave last week.

He told EL Larguero: “I’m happy of our team. We have a great defence, a great midfield, but yes we have to do something in the attack.

“[Varane?] If players don’t want to stay at Madrid they can leave.”

Varane though refused to be drawn on his future.

“I am focused on the end of the season,” said Varane. “If I have a message to the fans it’s that my commitment is 100 per cent with the team and I’ll give it my best.

“We have a quite exciting end to the season, beautiful challenges that motivate us a lot. And I’m focused on giving it my best on the field.”

Zidane meanwhile insisted he has no need to issue a public defence of under-fire Real Madrid president Perez.

Perez spearheaded the failed breakaway Super League, coming under great pressure in the wake of the competition’s spectacular collapse.

The threat of expulsion from next term’s competition remains a possibility. And Perez remains under great scrutiny in his role, but Zidane insisted the Real president knows exactly the support he has from his club manager.

“The president knows what I have in my heart and what I think, and we are here to prepare tomorrow’s match,” said Zidane.

“The rest is not that we are not interested, it’s just not the moment to talk about it.

“We are going to play a Champions League semi-final, and that’s all we can think about.”

Perez was one of the failed Super League’s main protagonists, that was launched on Sunday, April 18 but fell apart entirely just 48 hours later.


Subscribe for free to TEAMtalk’s daily newsletter…


Zidane focused on Chelsea

England’s ‘big six’ clubs had signed up to the project. Chelsea and Manchester City then withdrew on Tuesday, April 20 and the edifice quickly crumbled.

Madrid have yet to admit defeat officially on the Super League, with Perez insisting the project could be revived.

Asked if Real face any embarrassment over the lingering situation, Zidane replied: “We have a match tomorrow. I’m sorry but I’m not going to answer about that.

“Right now people are talking a lot about whether we will be in the competition next year or not.

“We have to pay attention to tomorrow’s match and we don’t control that. There’s going to be a lot of conversation, and I’m just giving my opinion.

“We want to see Real Madrid in the next Champions League, and that’s it.”

READ MORE: EXCLUSIVE: Chelsea, Man Utd monitoring impactful Brighton prospect

 

Leave a Reply