FSG trust hits rock bottom as news emerges of Liverpool takeover snub

0
2
John Henry, Linda Pizzuti FSG Liverpool FC owners

Reports claim Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group rejected a £3billion takeover bid earlier this year before the European Super League debacle.

Already under pressure from the ESL fallout, the latest news will only ramp up tension between fans and the owners. John W Henry was forced to release a public video message apologising to Liverpool supporters on Wednesday.

That came after the Reds and five other Premier League clubs pulled out of the proposed new competition. The Liverpool chief admitted sole responsibility for the club’s decision to join the European breakaway.

But disgruntled fans continue to voice their opposition to the American and FSG’s action. They are angry that a club with such tradition would become involved in a clandestine plot to change the face of football.

Designed to favour 15 ‘founding clubs’, there would have been no relegation – eliminating the competitive nature so important to football. Fans immediately turned on the six clubs involved, and they all withdrew interest within 48 hours of the news breaking.

But the way in which owners went about trying to fill their pockets will never be forgotten. Former Anfield defender Jamie Carragher aired his views on Sky Sports earlier in the week.

And the pundit feels it is time for a change of ownership on Merseyside.

“They can’t just leave the club, obviously, the business is worth a lot of money,” he said. “But I don’t see a future for the ownership of FSG at Liverpool on the back of this. This will never be forgotten.”

Offers on the table for Fenway Sports Group

The Sunday Mirror are claiming that Henry could have already sold the club to a Middle East investor. They are said to have rejected a £3bn offer before entering negotiations over the failed ESL.

The Mirror also suggest that there are other potential bidders who may try their hand this summer. It remains to be seen if the owners are willing to sell but the current situation has weakened their position.

The club’s hierarchy were clearly not prepared for the vitriolic backlash and the ongoing negativity towards them. Although now distanced from the ESL, they could be in line to lose millions from the contract they signed.

That might also make them listen to offers when the dust settles on the 2020-2021 campaign.

There is no love lost between supporters and the owners. And news of the rejection of a huge buyout figure in favour of the ESL will stoke the fires even further.

READ MORE: Henderson opens up on turbulent week; Klopp can’t take Liverpool being ‘trashed’

 

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here